Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone





I have always had an interest in Harry Potter. But when I was younger I only ever got to the second movie (Chamber of Secrets). If you've never seen the movie or read the book, you won't have a clue what I'm on about, and I'm also about to spoil it for you. 

So, basically when Ron's spell on Draco backfires and it makes him "eat slugs", it used to make me want to be sick, and from then I just can't look at that bit of the movie. Even at aged 22 when I've seen it multiple times, it still gets to me. So after I watched that when I was like 10, I hadn't even looked at another Harry Potter movie. 

But then when I was in about year 10, so about 14. I decided it was time to rewatch them, and that was it I was addicted. Kind of regretting not watching them sooner than that but what can we do now. One thing I wasn't really interested in was reading the books. Until we all got grounded by COVID-19. As much as I LOVE laying there, playing The Sims with Vlogmas on in the background, it does get boring. So when I was doing my food shop, I looked down the book aisle and Harry Potter stood out to me more than it did before. With them only being 2 for £7, I thought why not. 

It only took me 10 days to read it. TBH, definitely wouldn't have taken me so long if I didn't get distracted by TikTok. Other than that, I thought I read it quite quick for me. I wouldn't say that it was a big read, as there are only 17 chapters. But the chapters are quite big. But also, Rowling hasn't crammed loads into chapters, so it makes it more enjoyable than other books I've read. Although I wouldn't expect anything less from Rowling. 


One of my most memorable chapters was when Harry was on his way to the train station, to go to Hogwarts (chapter 6). It's so different compared to the movie and I think that's why I loved it so much. It also makes so much more sense in the book than it did in the movie, on how Harry got to the station. The Weasley twins, Fred and George are so much funnier in the book also. Molly Weasley is seeing her brood off on the Hogwarts express when she says she doesn't want any more owls saying that they've ' blown up a toilet'. Fred and George quickly replied saying. 'Blown up a toilet we've never blown up a toilet'. 'Great idea though, thanks, Mum'. Which made me actually lol. Now I don't know if I just have a childlike sense of humor or its the fact I love how mischievous they are 

 Even on how they got from the hut to Diagon Alley, in chapter 5 makes so much more sense in the books than the movies. In the movies they kind of just turn up in London, wandering to the leaky cauldron. That to me has just never made sense. 

The further I was getting into the book, the more I was aware of how much more happens before they discover who Nicolas Flamel is and what the Philosopher's Stone is. I do understand that you can't cram everything from a book into a movie. But I hate that so much is missed out. For example, they changed almost a whole chapter/scene. I say almost very heavily, as the only bit that actually happens in the movie vs the book, is the running from Filch and ending up on the 3rd floor. 

In the book, Draco and his gang challenge Harry and Ron to a midnight duel. Well, mainly Ron accepted the midnight duel, not knowing what he was getting himself and harry into. Further, into the chapter, Hermione is with them and they met Neville on the way. Who, was sleeping on the floor outside of the common room as he didn't remember the password to get past the fat lady. Which resulted in them all going to find Draco. Little to their knowledge (although I think they should've expected this) Draco had given Filch a tip-off that they were going to be there. As you can guess resulted in the FOUR of them to run and they ended up on the third-floor corridor, into the room where the three-headed dog was sitting. 

In the movie, it isn't as exciting. From Harry joining the Quidditch team. They then find out from Hermione that he's the first, first year in a century, which Ron voiced that he found it weird. With the Hogwarts being what it is, of course, the have moving staircases. So as they're talking about how much Hermione knows about everything and everyone, the stairs change position. They they end up going through a different door to what they normally would. Obviously, the door that leads to the room fluffy is in. And that's how they found fluffy.

As much as I LOVE the movies and always will. My ratings of them have lowered I comparison to the books. Overall still some of the best movies out there, but nothing will beat them books. Although I do love how I don't have to picture the characters because I've already seen all the movies and know what the characters look like. I can't wait to continue reading the thrilling adventures of Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I also can't wait to be introduced to Dobby.

I didn't realize how long-winded this got, but in these posts, I want to compare a couple of my favourite parts of the books. So I can show how different they are, not only for the readers but for me. As I never really thought they were going to be that different. 


Whos your favourite character from Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone?


Katie
xoxo










Comments

Popular Posts