Easy Chocolate Cake - Blogmas Day 2





Its Blogmas Day 2 and today we make CAKE! Now I am not going to lie, I made this a couple weeks ago, but it was too nice not to share. I will include where I got the recipe from at the end of the post but I will also post the ingredients and how I baked it under the images below. 

First I am going to list all the tools I used:
- Scales
- Sieve
- Greaseproof paper 
- as many micing bowls as you can find 
- an electric whisk (or hand whisk, wooden spoon, stand mixer)
- measuring spoons
- spoons and knives 
- cake board or plate 
- icing scrapers
- cake tins
-wire cooling rack

Ingredients for cake:

-200g golden caster sugar
- 200g unsalted butter, plus extra for the tins
-4 large eggs
-200g self-raising flour
-2 tbsp cocoa powder
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-2 tbsp milk



For the method of baking the cake, I most probably did not do it correctly. But I started off by creaming the butter and the caster sugar together, just until they were incorporated together. Then I sieved in the flour and baking powder, while also adding half of the eggs and the vanilla. By doing this, this reduced the amount of mess from the flour.

 After that, I sieved in the flour and added the remaining egg. I then slowly started adding the milk until it was a cake batter consistency. Making sure I don't over mix, I line 3 baking tins. Don't ask what size they all look the same to me. But I'm soon proven wrong. Then I split the mixture out evenly. 

I baked on about 170C fan for 22 minutes. But all the ovens will be different.








Ingredients for the buttercream:
-200g butter softened 
-400g icing sugar
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- Chocolate buttons and smarties for decorating 
- milk chocolate for melting 




After making sure the cakes have completely cooled. If they don't cool then your buttercream will melt. I creamed the butter so it was lighter in colour and looked fluffier. By doing this you will get more buttercream and it looks nicer.

After that, I sieved the icing sugar in 3/4 different parts, as that does make a hugggeeeee mess. Then I sort of just slapped it on between the layers and on the top and edges. 



mnnjnojnj

I melted together 2 bars of the ALDI everyday essentials chocolate to put on top of the icing, but it kind of just mixed in with the icing and created a solid barrier.

I then just started adding white chocolate buttons and smarties till it got uglier and uglier. But it did have loads of chocolate on it so there's always a blessing.























I need to note that next time that I bake a cake that I don't use a different size tin because it makes a big difference to what your cake will end up looking like haha. Although half of my cake was falling, I was proud of the icing. Next time I'm going to try it using the same tins.

For the original recipe and method head over to BBC good food here 



Katie
xoxo

!!!23 DAYS TO GO TILL CHRISTMAS!!!







Comments

Popular Posts