Easter Cupcakes




For Easter, I wanted to experiment with cupcakes. I was feeling brave. So other than my bog standard Vanilla cupcakes, even though these cupcakes are Vanilla, they have a twist of colour. Also, I was feeling adventurous with my decoration. 



For the Ingredients, I used the basic vanilla cupcakes recipe. 
125g caster sugar
125g self-raising flour
2 large free range eggs
125g unsalted butter
¼ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1 ½ tablespoons of milk
¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract

I also added some green food colouring, because I wanted to try and make it look like grass but I really don't know why. 

Ingredients for the small amount of icing. I just used some normal icing sugar, mixed with cocoa powder and made it thick so it would hold together easily. But you could also use butter icing, which there are hundreds of recipes on the internet for.

Method:
With a wooden spoon or an electric whisk, cream together the butter and the caster sugar until they're combined together. 
Next sieve in the flour and bicarbonate of soda, also adding in the rest of your ingredients. Mixing again until its combined and has no lumps. At this point, you want to add colourings.
Now, you want to take an ice cream scoop and fill 12 cases. Or using a spoon and putting about 2/3 in each case. 
Then bake at 170C/150 Fan for about 15 minutes, Or until they're golden brown, springy to the touch and a knife/fork or cocktail stick comes out clean. OR another trick me mam told me was if they're singing to you then it means they're ready.

Then leave to cool when Finished for about 20/30 minutes. They have to be completely cool otherwise the butter in the cream or the chocolate will melt.







Next is for the topping. For the topping of my cupcakes, I stole what Zoella did by putting little mini nests on, with mini mini eggs which I got from B&M. 

To make the nests is pretty easy. Melt just over 100g of chocolate. I choose Asda smart price because it is my FAV. It's easier to melt it in the microwave in 15 seconds bursts and stirring really well. Otherwise, it will be burnt. 
Then crumble in 2 shredded wheat and mix. You don't need much at all. 
After putting them in the cases I put 3 different colour eggs on. 


To make the nest I didn't have small cupcake cases so I had to improvise. It looks cute though right?? 




After the cupcakes have cooled, you want to make your icing. I just made mine with water, icing sugar and cocoa powder till it was the right consistency.

I just scooped a blob of the icing onto the bottom of the nest and plopped it onto the cupcake. They held pretty well, better than I expected. Then I finished them off with cake toppers that I only used for photos.



I am late for my Sunday post but shh. I hope you enjoyed me trying to give you instructions on how to make the most basic cupcakes EVER. Also,  they are meant to be green but that didn't happen. 


More food posts in the future maybe??



Katie 
xoxo



Comments

Popular Posts